Thursday, May 7, 2015

Fosmon STURDY Series Case Review

The Nexus 5 was my dream device, and when I got mine last year, I absolutely loved it. Almost immediately afterward, I remembered the horror story of dropping my old smartphone (an HTC Raider 4G) and completely smashing the screen. That wasn’t going to happen this time, so I bought a case and screen protector.

Just recently, after serving me well for almost a year, it was time to say farewell to my old case, a Fosmon HYBO-RAGGED Series that I purchased on Amazon for $10.99, which turned out to be one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. Now on the hunt for a replacement, I came across an equally cheap and impressive case from Fosmon, which happened to be the next model up: The STURDY Series.

What is it?

The STURDY Series for Nexus 5 from Fosmon retails for a mere $7.95 USD ($12.99 CAD) on Amazon.

Featuring a built-in kickstand, rotating holster clip, and solid polycarbonate exoskeleton, it’s a cheap, extremely durable case that get’s the job done.

Design

The STURDY series offers two layers of protection: a soft-touch silicone inner shell and a hard polycarbonate exoskeleton that holds it together.

While the silicone shell surrounds the device, providing protection against screen smashing with a 2-3mm lip around the screen, the exoskeleton raises the back of the device to protect the camera lense and to provide room for the kickstand.

Using It

I never thought I would enjoy the feeling of plastic in my hand. One of the biggest downsides of my old case was the grip and esthetic of the cheap plastic used for the exoskeleton. The body of the Nexus 5 itself has a great soft-touch feel that I didn’t think could be recreated in a case this cheap.

Boy, was I wrong. While maintaining it’s rugged look, the grip of the silicone is fantastic and I was very pleased with the overall two-tone matte black colour scheme.

While I wish the buttons felt a little more like buttons and that I would get a little more tactile feedback, the overall responsiveness is great.

The kickstand is probably it’s best feature. My old case’s kickstand was a little easier to deploy, but, its great just the same. Having the kickstand deployed on my desk or in class allows me to easily look a notifications. And, of course, watching video is made so much simpler.

The holster clip works like a charm. I’ve walked, drove and rode my bike with it on, and haven’t had any issues. The device stays secure and if it ever become uncomfortable, a quick rotation 90 degrees can easily solve the problem.

Like

All of the above pretty much spells out what I like.

No Like

It isn’t without it’s flaws.
The exoskeleton can be difficult to remove. The exoskeleton on my old case partially broke after trying to remove it once, but it won’t be an issue if you take your time.

The kickstand does take a few seconds to set up, and could be more difficult for individuals with larger fingers.

Overall, it does add some bulk. If you’re worried about the size of your phone and would rather have it in your pocket than use the holster, you may want to look elsewhere.

Should You Buy It?

Yes, absolutely. At such a phenomenal price, and for the quality of what you’re getting, this is a no-brainer for any Nexus 5 owner looking for maximum protection!

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

Website: http://www.fosmon.com/product/sturdy-series-for-nexus-5/

Buy it on Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment