Thursday, April 30, 2015

How I Work: 2014/2015 School Year Edition

**Note: The post below was written in Fall 2014 while in my first year of Engineering at Carleton Universiy**


Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Current Gig: Telecommunications Engineering Student
One word that best describes how you work: Structured
Current mobile device: LG Nexus 5 (Android 5.0)
Current Computer: HP Pavillion G6 (Windows 8.1)


What apps, software, or tools can't you live without?


  • Google Apps (Drive, Calendar, Keep, Gmail, Calendar, Play Music)
  • Photoshop
  • Microsoft Office 365
  • Autodesk Inventor/AutoCAD


What's your workspace setup like?


The desk in my dorm room is something of an organized chaos. On the main level, it features my laptop, my D-Link Wifi Router, Xbox 360 (slim), Brother Wireless Printer, lamp, and landline phone.


Some accessories and secondary items you’ll find will be my external USB Speakers, Logitech USB Headset, Sony Studio Headphones, Logitech 1080p HD Webcam,  a makeshift light diffuser, as well as the usual office suspects (stapler, hole punch etc).


The second level shelf directly above the desk surface is home to my binders, textbooks, DVDs, video games, screen cleaning supplies and an organizer filled with cables, elastic bands, computer parts, and other knick-knacks.


Directly above that shelf on the top level is where my 32” LED TV w/ Chromecast, books and mementos live.


And, lastly, theres my trusty office chair.


The space can transform as needed for whatever I need it for. Need to get serious and get homework done? Lock my chair in upright, crack open the laptop (or not, depending on the work), and get to it. Need to Skype the parents? Plug in the webcam, break out the light diffuser and turn on the desk lamp for optimum lighting in my poorly lit dorm room. Want to put my feet up and watch some Netflix? Boot up the TV and the Chromecast and kick back in the chair. Want to get some hardcore gaming done? Switch on the Xbox 360 and loose myself in GTA 5 or some Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Yeah, still rocking the original Xbox games).


What's your best time-saving shortcut or life hack?


My best, not-so-original lifehack, would probably be the aforementioned light diffuser. It’s just a piece of cardboard with a square hole cut in, coated in duct tape (because, why not?) with a piece of blank paper covering the hole. Secured to the underside of the second level shelf, it hangs directly in front of my desk lamp. When I want to record a video or Skype a family member/friend, I can flick on the desk lamp, and the extra light definitely enhances the quality of the video.


What's your favorite to-do list manager?
I use a combination of Google Calendar and Google Keep. When it comes to long-term deadlines or events that I need to see in comparison to the big picture or would be helpful visualizing how much time is left to accomplish it, Google Calendar. When it comes to short-term objectives, to-do lists (Shopping, Homework for the day etc), I turn to Google Keep.
Both integrate with their respective Android apps as well as Google Now on my Nexus 5 to give me alerts and reminders when I’m on the go.
I’ve never been keen on other to-do list managers, which I’ve tried to use in the past, as I never seem to integrate them into my routine. This is most likely because I’m so entrenched with how I’ve always managed my time, new apps or software haven’t gotten much traction in my life.


Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can't you live without and why?
Oooh, that’s a tough one. It’s a toss up between the Xbox 360 and my Brother Multifunction printer, but I’m going to give it to the 360. It’s an inconvenience, but not the end of the world to pay for printing/copying. I don’t think I’d be able to function without my stress relief in the world of video games.


What everyday thing are you better at than everyone else? What's your secret?
While trying not to think of myself as better than others, I would have to say the way I plan and organize my time. I almost always know by Thursday night what needs to get done by Monday. When my plate is empty and I’ve got nothing going on, then I take the opportunity to unwind and relax. But on those weekends with multiple things to accomplish, I sit down on Thursday night and plan all three days out by the hour. Allotting each item the required amount of time to finish, as well as scheduling meals, and breaks in-between, while remaining open to re-working it if situations change. It’s really nothing more than a spreadsheet made in Google Drive.


What do you listen to while you work?
For certain kinds of work, I prefer silence. Like writing this for example. I need my full attention on piecing together my thoughts into coherent sentences. For everything else, like photoshopping, CADing etc, I like to listen to podcasts (Hello Internet with CGP Grey and Brady Haran is excellent) as well as my own personal playlists through Google Play Music, which features everything from 1980’s Rock n’ Roll to current Top 40 hits to Epic Rap Battles of History (what’s up b*tches?!?).


What are you currently reading?


Rick Mercer’s “A Nation Worth Ranting About”. It’s more a collection of the rants from his TV series, “The Rick Mercer Report”, than a novel. Nevertheless, if you’re interested in Canadian politics, current events, and witty jokes, it’s a great read.


Are you more of an introvert or an extrovert?


Definitely an introvert. I think I’ve gotten better over time and become more open to meeting new people and interacting with them. When I was Grade 4,  I couldn’t read a paragraph in front of my class of 12 students. Last year, I spoke a multiple large events and was interviewed by the media several times. Nevertheless, my instincts of minimizing human contact as much as possible will unfortunately always prevail.


What's your sleep routine like?


With my student lifestyle, weeknight bedtimes are usually around midnight, or earlier depending on how early classes are the next day, with my alarm usually going off at 8:30AM. Weekend bedtimes never go past 2AM, with my internal alarm waking me up around 9:30-10AM.


Fill in the blank: I'd love to see _________ answer these same questions.


CGP Grey. An awesome YouTuber and Podcaster who seems to have an incredibly busy, stressful and happy life. I want to know his secrets to getting it all done.

What's the best advice you've ever received?


One of the mentors on my competitive robotics team explained to me (on many occasions) that life isn’t black and white, usually it’s shade of grey (insert 50 Shades of Grey joke here). It took me a while to figure out, but when I did (or think I did) it was powerful advice going out into the world. There aren’t clear cut problems or solutions, you’re going to almost always read between the lines and think outside of the box in order to come up with solutions to real-world issues.


Is there anything else you'd like to add that might be interesting to readers and fans?

I’m just a general all-around nerdy guy who loves board games, Star Wars, Star Trek, robots, and anything in the world of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment