Monday, July 13, 2015

Sony ZX Studio Monitor Series Headphones Review

I’ve gone through quite a few pairs of headphones, most of them being cheap, poorly built earbuds. I would always sacrifice comfort and sound quality for price and the convenience of being able to carry them in my pocket.  In my mind, traditional over-the-ear headphones were far superior in every way, but, I could never find something in my price range that didn’t break down after a few weeks. Then, I stumbled across a pair of headphones that have been my daily driver now for over two years.

What is it?

The ZX Studio Monitor Series over-the-ear headphones, Sony’s budget headset, promises rock-solid audio performance, an adjustable headband, and comfortable earpads. Retailing for a mere $25.00 CAD, the ZX has a impedance of 24 ohms, a sensitivity of 100 dB/mW, and a 30mm driver.

Design

The ZX comes in four flavours: black (which I use), red, blue and white.

Featuring an all black plastic chassis, extendable headband, and fairly comfortable foam padding on the ear pads, the ZX is minimalist and sleek. Arguably the best design feature comes in the form of a millimeter of red plastic just above the right speaker, allowing the user to quickly determine how to orient the headset for use.

The outside of each speaker also features a reflective silver metal design with the Sony logo in the centre.

The y-type cord is 1m long, featuring the standard 3.5mm audio jack, hits a sweet spot between being both convenient and manageable.

Using It

Exactly as advertised, the ZX’s audio performance is awesome, especially considering the price point. I’m definitely not an audio junkie, or someone obsessed with hearing studio-quality sound. Listening to everything from movies, to podcasts, to YouTube videos, to music, the performance, in my opinion, is perfect for the average consumer.

The one other pair of headphones I own is a USB Gaming Headset, which I use at home for video watching, recording, and gaming on my PC. The difference in quality is clear between the ZX and my Gaming Headset. The custom audio drivers and USB interface provides the gaming headset with edge over the ZX, which I use almost exclusively with my Nexus 5. If the quality between the two was on par, I definitely wouldn’t complain. But, as it stands, the ZX is a solid headset for the average consumer on a budget.

Like

It’s all pretty much spelled out above.

No Like

The 3.5mm audio jack has trouble sometimes getting a clear signal through if the cable isn’t totally still, but I can also lay some blame on my phone’s audio port.

I also wouldn’t mind some padding on the headband for extra comfort. I often use my headset while wearing a baseball hat (not the best look, I know), so it’s not a huge deal.

Should You Buy It?

Yes. If you hate earbuds and want real headphones that won’t break the bank, definitely get the ZX.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5


Buy it on Amazon:

United States ($17): http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX100-Series-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B004WODP20

No comments:

Post a Comment